The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced the results of a milk sampling survey that examined antibiotic residues in raw bulk milk samples. 1 The FDA reinforced that the U.S. milk supply is safe. We agree. However, the report sheds new light on improper animal health practices that could risk the safety of our food supply and degrade customer confidence.
Zoetis takes the results of this survey seriously and asks you to work with your veterinarian to discuss how they impact your dairy. Here are some things to ask about:
- Veterinarian-client-patient relationship — Proper use of antibiotics starts by working with your veterinarian. Ask him or her to review your herd health and antibiotic usage protocols to include effective products with low residue risk profiles.
- Off-label use of antibiotics — Off-label use of any Zoetis product is avoidable, and intentional misuse is inexcusable. Work with your veterinarian and employees to make sure all products are being used appropriately.
- Employee training — Herd managers and fresh cow pen workers are on the front lines of using animal health products. Make sure they understand why following protocols is important and how decisions they make can impact the dairy operation.
Zoetis is here to support your residue avoidance efforts. We offer the Residue Free Guarantee™ to provide the peace of mind of never having to worry about residues in milk or meat when using Zoetis ceftiofur products according to label instructions. Work with your veterinarian to make sure your dairy is contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply.
Resources for residue avoidance
Responsible antibiotic use, as part of an ongoing Dairy Wellness program, requires continuous vigilance and is something we all are committed to. It requires a team effort from you, your dairy employees and your veterinarian. We hope you will use the results of this survey as a motivator to review your existing herd health protocols. Your veterinarian is the animal health expert and guardian of your operation’s animal health practices. Ask them for help.
Zoetis also has resources available to help you in your residue avoidance efforts.
- AvoidResidues.com — New updates frequently
- Producing Milk and Meat Responsibly — A supplement to Hoard’s Dairyman magazine
- Tips for proper drug treatments — A poster in English and Spanish to help remind employees how to give proper drug treatments. Download one or ask your Zoetis representative to send you one.
- Residue Free Guarantee™ — The industry’s only guarantee against a milk or meat residue violation backs leading Zoetis products.